Friday, December 2, 2011

Next Term

Thanks to everyone who attended all or the majority of the meetings this semester. I have enjoyed our discussions. We will, however, be switching gears in the new year. Because the focus of the discussions has switched multiple times, it has been suggested that we discuss a book next term. The following book is a possibility:

http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1405183179,descCd-tableOfContents.html

I am looking for other suggestions but feel that this book would be excellent.

Reminder: The End of Term Party is being held at O'Brien's on Heron Friday December 9th starting at 8 pm. Hope to see you all there!

4 comments:

  1. Derek Turner has written a great philosophy of palaeo book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only issue is that I don't want to stop the biology folks from coming as this is not supposed to be a strictly palaeo discussion group. This term we deterred many biologists from coming because there was too much palaeo (part of my reason for suggesting a book). I think the book I suggest could encourage biologists to show up more often but also engage the people who want to simply do palaeo because I think a lot of the principles apply in both areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One might then argue that we would be deterring any potentially interested people from the geology department who aren't in the paleo concentration. Oh, who am I kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I don't think Palaeontology and Biology are mutually exclusive...not sure you could do palaeo without biology. Don't get me wrong though, biology needs palaeontology as well. But the question is...will this deter palaeontologists? We are already deterring sedimentary geologists etc. but our discussions have never been aimed at those subjects.

    I'll add that I have asked twice for other suggestions and that I haven't finalized this book either.

    ReplyDelete